Just like humans, dogs too struggle with anxiety due to stress. There are several ways to help your furry friend through this tempestuous experience. Nevertheless, take steps towards anxiety management as soon as you can to avoid the condition worsening into a chronic disorder.
Different anxiety types in a dog
- Fear – Dogs fear loud noises from fireworks and thunder. Some are even terrorized by other animals or strangers or unrecognizable objects.
- Separation anxiety – Dogs never prefer isolation from you or your family members. Some dogs can deal with separation better but a few feel uncomfortable. Separation anxiety can cause accidents in the house, barking, and destructive behavior.
- Environmental changes – Vet visits, traveling, or riding in a car can make some dogs anxious. They don’t prefer a new environment, which pulls them away from their comfort zone.
- Self-harm like excessive chewing or licking
- Excessive barking
- Destructive behavior
- Peeing or pooping in the house
- Running into a corner
- Looking away
These are some signs you can look out for to identify that your pet is anxious.
CBD oil for dog
If you are against giving pharmaceutical drugs to your dog, then there are natural remedies and supplements to help manage anxiety. You can consider CBD oil for dogs, which has been helping a lot of furry friends out there to manage their anxiety levels. Look for CBD for pets on Just CBD Store, a place solely selling quality cannabidiol products like oil treats, topical, etc. You could also search online using “CBD near me” for offline stores.
CBD treats for the dog
You can choose CBD-infused treats with chicken and beef flavors. They are intended to help the dog feel happy and relaxed. You can use these as a reward for his good behavior. A nervous dog feels calm and enjoys the unique treat.
Peanut butter chews help in relaxing the over-excited dog enjoy calm afternoons with your kids. The overexcited nerves are subdued and his mood is regulated. The dog adores the soft chews.
Apply topical oil to the ear flap and furless region of your pet. It prevents the excess buildup of dirt and wax in the ears. Irritation can occur in his ear making him feel anxious. Topical products can help to calm him down.
Other anti-anxiety products
- Calming collar
- Thunder jacket
- Snuggly toy
Extra ways to relax your dog
- Regular walks
- Playdates with his other dog friends
- Daily training exercise
- Massage therapy
- Doggy daycare enrollment
- A safe designated space
What is behavioral training?
It is a technique, where your pet’s negative connection/stimulation with situations is to replace with something positive he adores. The desensitizing technique works great with dogs suffering from anxiety. The dog is slowly introduced to the stress source and rewarded with a treat for this positive action. For example, your dog hates car rides.
First, lure him to the car and give him a treat. The next day lead him inside the car and rewards him. On the third day, take him for a short drive and give him a treat. Gradual and careful, repeated exposure along with rewarding positive actions is a good anxiety management solution for your dog.